FAQ

FAQS

A Bank or Lender loans money with interest. In return, their loan is secured against the value of a person’s property. The details of the loan agreement are registered against the Title of that property- this is known as a mortgage.

Mortgage brokers are specialist mortgage providers who will look for a suitable mortgage product on a client’s behalf in order to ensure they get the best possible deal. Fees and success rates vary from one broker to the next, so it is sensible to use the services of a number of brokers to get the most attractive quote.

There are two main types of mortgages;

Fixed-Rate Mortgage and Variable Rate Mortgage. A Fixed Rate Mortgage means that your interest amount is fixed for a period of time (usually two to five years) therefore your repayments don’t change.

A variable rate mortgage means the amount of interest you pay can change, and therefore so do your repayments. See our page on mortgage interest rates for more information or view the various types of mortgages we offer.

This will not prevent you from getting a mortgage. Our advisors have great success in helping clients with adverse credit. There are a number of lenders that we work closely with who are more favorable to clients who have previously had trouble sourcing finance. Talk to one of our advisors today for further information.

Yes, our advice is always independent and impartial, our advisors don’t work on commission, this means they will recommend what they consider to be the best mortgage to meet your needs. They have no affiliation with a particular lender or panel. Our advisors are CeMap qualified, FCA regulated and offer professional advice.

As a broker with unlimited access to lenders means that we can explore an impressive mortgage market. Our advisors search and compare the market to find the best offer for you, doing all the hard work for you. Please note however a small number of lenders do use the source of a broker.

Our brokers take all the hard work out of finding the very best mortgage offers available. Our brokers are CeMap qualified and FCA Regulated. We can charge an Application Fee and a Financial Arrangement Fee payable on completion. Any fees will be detailed on the documentation provided prior to any commitment by the client.

There are no prescribed criteria to determine what you can borrow. The amount you qualify for will be determined by the purchase price of the property, the deposit you are able to put down, your income, and monthly expenses. Refer to our mortgage calculator for a guide, alternatively, our brokers are able to give you an indication over the phone or a full agreement in principle.

See our mortgage process information for a detailed description of what you can expect from our office and how your application will be handled through to completion.

Yes, our brokers have a wealth of experience in a range of Mortgage types including in the increasingly popular buy to let Mortgage. See our Buy to Let page for more information.

Lenders often talk about the LTV requirement. LTV is an acronym for Loan to Value Ratio. This is a term used to describe the ratio of a loan to the value of the property purchased. For eg if you borrow £170,000 to purchase a property valued at £200,000 the LTV is 170,000/200,000 or 85%, the remaining 15% is your equity.

Yes, however, you could have early repayment charges to pay if you have only had your mortgage product for a short amount of time.

Yes, most lenders allow up to 10% of the mortgage balance to be overpaid each year without incurring any penalties.

A Buy-to-Let mortgage is where you buy another property specifically as an investment with the intention of letting it out.

Normally a minimum of 25% deposit.

Not for your main residence, but if you have investment properties that were bought on a Buy-to-Let basis, these will be subject to Capital Gains Tax.

This is a score that we all have and is based on how we have conducted our finances over the preceding six years and is used by Financial Services companies to assess our creditworthiness.

You can improve your score by proving that you can repay debt and cope with any credit commitment you have, such as loans and credit cards, and by paying things like mobile phone bills and utility bills on time.  Also, it helps to be on the electoral roll.

How do I find out the maximum mortgage that I can get?

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

The Mortgage Brigade © 2022. All Rights Reserved. Site Designed & Developed by Perceive Digital